Connect with us

politics

Published

on

Order of elections: Bribe claims rock National Assembly

Lawmakers may have dumped their agreement with party chiefs to pull the brakes on their plan to override the President’s veto of the Electoral Amendment Bill reversing the order of elections, The Nation learnt yesterday.

Unless the National Caucus meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC) slated for today at the Aso Villa and the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting billed for tomorrow can convince Senator Bukola Saraki and Speaker Yakubu Dogara to get their colleagues to back off; the Senate and the House of Representatives are likely to proceed with the plan, a source said.

Supporters of the bill have alleged that “some powerful individuals sympathetic to the President” at the weekend perfected a plan to bribe National Assembly members.

The allegation is that pro- executive senators might receive   $50,000 each. House of Representatives members sympathetic to the President will each receive $30,000 to “kill the amendment”, which was initiated by the lawmakers.

This could however not be independently confirmed. Pro- Buhari senators described the allegation as “hogwash”, saying if there was any such move, those pushing that the National Assembly should override the veto were plotting to induce “ those in their camp financially.”

“They are diverting attention from their plan, “a pro- Buhari senator said at the weekend.

Lawmakers in support of the bill said the plot to bribe National Assembly members was perfected at “some high profile meetings “in Abuja at the weekend. The meeting was also said to have resolved that “anti-executive lawmakers who have cases with anti-corruption agencies should be threatened with prosecution in days to come”.

Those said to have attended were some pro-Buhari governors from the Northwest , the Northcentral and the Northeast. A “minister from Southsouth” was also said to be present.

They said they learnt that “some key members of the executive who have been spearheading strategies for President Buhari’s re-election in 2019 were unequivocal that the National Assembly must be stopped from going ahead with plans to veto the President on the electoral bill as amended by us, particularly the order of the 2019 national elections. “

In withholding assent to the bill, the President argued that the amendment by the lawmakers infringed on the constitutional powers of INEC.

The President also said that the passage of the bill could lead to a situation where the National Assembly would be seen as legislating for the states on local government management.

The Legal Department of the National Assembly, however, faulted the points raised by President Buhari to withhold assent to the bill.

It advised the lawmakers to go ahead with overriding the veto if they so wished.

The President’s action has further polarised both chambers of the assembly, with those in his support claiming that 54 out of the 109 senators have indicated their intention to vote against overriding the veto.

An anti – Buhari senator rejected the claim that 54 senators might vote against overriding the veto. “But for the death of Senator Ali Wakili (Bauchi South) the Senate would have voted on the veto last Thursday. And all this would have been laid to rest, “ he said.

A source at the weekend insisted that the plan to override President Buhari’s veto was “still very much on”.

The National Assembly has continued with mobilising for signatures in support of a possible override of the President’s veto.

The source claimed that 67 senators had signed “a pro-Senate register to override the President’s veto.

The number, said to have been in a register kept by a Northeast senator, the source claimed, swelled to 67 from last week’s 63.

According to the source, “the number of senators might rise far beyond 80 if the more than 20 others said to be sitting on the fence sign up this week”.

It was also learnt that pro-Buhari senators are unrelenting in their push to stall the plot to override the President.

The source said: “The Pro-Saraki group has encouraged some of its members to infiltrate the rank of the Pro-Buhari group to give them a false sense of hope that they are greater in number. That makes the pro-Buhari group have a false sense of improvement but the senators know where they really belong.

”A meeting of the pro- Senate group held in Lagos after the wedding party of the daughter of Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, at the weekend. The meeting afforded the Pro-Senate Senators the opportunity to review the register and it was affirmed that 67 senators have so far signed,” the source said.

He noted that about 20 senators believed to be sitting on the fence who had been neutral in the meetings of the Pro-Senate and Pro-Buhari so far are set to sign the register.

It was learnt that three Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) joined the Senators at the Lagos meeting.

The Lagos meeting, it was gathered, adopted the interpretation of the law that the two-thirds majority required to override the President’s veto are “those present in each chamber and not two-thirds majority of all members of the Senate or the House”.

The source noted that baring last-minute changes, “the plan to over ride veto may start this week because the Senate leadership is sure of sufficient number to act and get the desired results”.

Senate Committee on Police Affairs, Senator Abu Ibrahim insisted that the Electoral Act amendment 2018 is Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) agenda aimed at frustrating the APC during the 2019 election.

The Katsina South lawmaker, who spoke in Abuja, insisted that those plotting to override the President’s assent on the Bill will fail.

To him, it is practically impossible for those plotting to override the assent of the President to secure two-third majority on the floor of the upper chamber.

Ibrahim described the adoption of the conference report which placed presidential election last in reordered sequence of elections as an afterthought that will be defeated on the floor of the Senate.

He said: “I am sure there is no way we can override the President on the floor of the Senate. They cannot get the two-third required to override Mr. President. I am against the Bill. You cannot just come now and say you want to change the election sequence. I will not for vote for it. I will stand up to oppose it even if it is only me alone. I will oppose it. I am from Katsina State. Whatever happens, I will oppose it.”

“Even if the National Assembly has the power to reorder election sequence, it remained an afterthought coming when it did.

“The PDP has no president, APC has. From the totality of the Bill, this Bill is working for the PDP, not APC. The Bill is PDP agenda.”

On the legal advice which dismissed the premise upon which President Buhari withheld assent to the Bill, Ibrahim noted that whatever the legal advice might be, it will still come to the floor of the Senate for consideration.

Ibrahim asked Nigerians not to worry about the Bill since “it will die a natural death”.

Nigerians, he said, should rather worry about the inability of the National Assembly to pass the 2018 budget months after it was presented.

He also said that Nigerians should be worried about the inability of the Senate to confirm many nominees forwarded to it for consideration and approval.

On the insinuation that the leadership of the National Assembly is divided on the Bill, Ibrahim said that might not be far from the truth since the leadership has not spoken openly about the Bill.

He said: “As an experienced senator, I can see there is a problem somewhere, which we have to address. Part of it is what the President did the other day by meeting the leadership of the two chambers to find a meeting point.”

Ibrahim insisted that Senate President Bukola Saraki and House of Representatives Speaker Yakubu Dogara must, at all times, be mindful of what their members wanted “because we are the people who put them in office”.

The lawmaker who described the National Assembly as the melting pot of different realities noted “everything we do, there will be differences because individual, ethnic, religious and political affiliations”.

The differences, he said, remained the live wire of the National Assembly, which should not surprise anybody.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

politics

Update : C’River PDP Deputy Governorship Candidate,Emana Resigns From Party

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Deputy Governorship Candidate in 2023 general election, in Cross River State, Dr Emana Duke Ambroose-Amawhe, has resigned her membership from the party.

In a letter dated
march 28,2025, and addressed to the chairman of Edem Odo Ward, in Akpabuyo local government area of Cross River State, the former Deputy Governorship Candidate,explained that the resignation was with immediate effect.

She said her decision to leave the party was not made lightly, but she remains committed to serving her community and contributing to the progress of Cross River state and nation in other capacities.

In her words, “i am writing to formally resign my membership from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with immediate effect.

” I sincerely appreciate the opportunity given to me over time to contribute my quota to the growth of the party and the chance to serve as the Deputy Governorship Candidate in the last general elections.

” It was a privilege to be part of the PDP’s vision and engage with our people in meaningful ways. However, after much reflection in light of the current state of affairs within the party, I believe it is time for me to move on.

“This decision was not made lightly, but I remain committed to serving my community and contributing to the progress of our state and nation in other capacities.

Continuing ” I appreciate the relationships and experiences gained during my time with the party and wish the PDP success in its future endeavours.

Amawhe, an embodiment of competence, capability and capacity,
was the Deputy Governorship Candidate to Senator Sandy Onor in Cross River State during the 2023 elections.

She was also an aspirant to the House of Representatives for the Bakassi/Akpabuyo/Calabar South Federal Constituency on the platform of the PDP.

Continue Reading

politics

Breaking : Sule Lamido blasts El-Rufai over call to join SDP, Says how can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing’

Published

on

Former Governor of Jigawa State and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Sule Lamido, has fired back at former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, over his call for opposition politicians to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP).

El-Rufai, who recently announced his defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to SDP, urged opposition leaders including Atiku Abubakar, Peter Obi, Rotimi Amaechi, and Rauf Aregbesola to join him in his new political movement.

However, Lamido in an interview with BBC dismissed El-Rufai’s invitation, questioning his political ideology and commitment to national development.

“With all due respect, how does he expect us in PDP to leave and join another party? The PDP that we built is the same party that made him who he is today. How can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing?” Lamido said.

He recalled that El-Rufai once declared there were no political elders in Nigeria, insisting that he and his allies were the true power brokers.

“But now he claims he advised Buhari. If he truly had the power he once boasted of, why did he have to seek Buhari’s counsel?” Lamido asked.

The former governor stressed that, despite PDP’s internal challenges, it remained his political home.

“If PDP is struggling today, it is still the party that nurtured El-Rufai. If he claims PDP is dead, then he must remember that it is the party that gave him his political foundation. Whatever he has achieved today, PDP made it possible.”

“If I didn’t join APC in 2014 when I was invited, and they left PDP out of anger, why are they now leaving APC? What has APC done to them?” he asked.

He maintained that governance should not be driven by emotions or personal grudges.

“Leadership is about patience, foresight, and working for the peace of the people and the nation. If you allow emotions to dictate your decisions, you will never lead objectively.”

He stressed that if the goal is to unseat President Bola Tinubu, it should not be based on personal grievances but on national interest.

“We should not fight Tinubu just because we are angry at him or seeking revenge. Leadership should be about prioritizing the country’s well-being rather than personal emotions.”

Lamido concluded by urging politicians to focus on strengthening the country rather than making decisions based on resentment.

Continue Reading

politics

Breaking : Rivers State House of Assembly Gives Governor Fubara, 48 hours to present 2025 Budget

Published

on

….I’ll obey Supreme Court judgment, says Fubara

Forty-eight hours after the Supreme Court handed down two judgments that threaten the soul of the Siminalayi Fubara Rivers State government, the governor yesterday announced his intention to fully obey the orders.

In a twist, described by observers of the Rivers State politics as unexpected, Fubara told Rivers residents that he expected to get the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the judgment by Friday to enable him to take the necessary action.

He ordered the 23 local government chairmen, whose election was voided by the judgment, to quit today after handing over to heads of personnel.

The apex court on Friday gave two judgments – one by Justice Akomaye Agim, which recognises the Martins Amaewhule-led 26 members of the state House of Assembly, and the second by Justice Jamilu Tukur, which declared as invalid the election conducted on October 5, 2024, that led to the emergence of 23 chairmen and 319 councillors.

The apex court further invalidated the state budget and ordered the Central Bank and the Accountant-General of the Federation to stop releasing funds to the state government pending when Fubara would re-present the budget to the authentic House of Assembly led by Speaker Amaewhule.

In a broadcast yesterday, Governor Fubara said: “I have had a meeting with my team of lawyers and they have assured me that the certified true copy of the judgments may be available to them by Friday 7th March 2025.

“I assure you that upon the receipt of certified judgments, we shall study their ramifications and implement them without reservations to move the state forward.

“Furthermore, given the outlawing of caretaker arrangements in the local government system, I hereby direct the heads of personnel management to immediately take over the administration of the 23 local government councils pending the conduct of fresh elections by the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission.

“I further direct the outgoing local government chairmen to formally hand over the levers of power to the heads of personnel management by Monday, 3rd March 2025.”

Fubara said since its inception, his administration conducted the affairs of government within the framework of the constitution, due process and the rule of law.

The governor noted with regret the trying times the state had been plunged but urged everyone to remain calm and peacefully go about their legitimate daily activities and be sure that his administration would continue to do everything in meeting their aspirations.

Fubara said: “We are all aware of the recent Supreme Court judgments and pronouncements regarding aspects of the lingering political disputes in our dear state.

“Although we disagree with the judgments, we are bound to obey the orders made therein as a law-abiding government.

“Since inception, we have conducted the affairs of government within the framework of our Constitution, due process and the rule of law.

“While we are not above mistakes because we are humans, we believe that we have not, as a government, done anything deliberately to trample on the rule of law or the hallowed principles of constitutional governance.”

Fubara, Amaewhule should work together, say elders

The Rivers State Elders Council (RSEC) called on Fubara and Speaker Amaewhule, to prioritise the interest of the state and work together in line with the Supreme Court judgment.

Referring to Fubara and the lawmakers as one political family, the elders in a statement signed by its Chairman, Chief Ferdinand Alabraba, said there was no more case standing between the both parties.

The elders congratulated the people of Rivers State on what they described as the well-rounded pronouncements of the Supreme Court oon the political crises.

The statement said: “The Elders Council further commends the people of the state for their resilience, patience and peaceful disposition throughout the period of the crises in the state while awaiting the final verdict of the apex court of the land on all the matters.

“Now that the Supreme Court has spoken unequivocally on all the matters, we believe strongly that nothing now stands in the way of His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, Governor of Rivers State and Rt Hon Martin Amaewhule, Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, working together in the best interest of the state and her people.

“We are, therefore, calling on the Governor of Rivers State and the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, who both emerged from the same political family in the state, to put Rivers State above all other considerations, personal or otherwise, and ensure urgently that all necessary steps are taken in conformity with their constitutional responsibilities.

“We give God Almighty all the glory for granting Rivers State this unique opening for peace to return to our dear state.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved