Connect with us

politics

APC, PDP locked in verbal attacks over Ekiti election

Published

on

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday threw jabs at each other over tomorrow’s governorship election in Ekiti State.

The PDP claimed that the state had been militarised to prepare the ground for rigging of the election for the APC candidate, Dr. Kayode Fayemi. The PDP’s candidate is Prof. Kolapo Olusola.

The APC said the PDP was making wild allegations because it knew that its candidate will lose. The party has been rejected, APC said.

PDP organised protests in Abuja and some state capitals to express its misgivings over the claim by Governor Ayodele Fayose that the police shot at him and fired into the Government House teargas, which  injured him.

An unconfirmed source said last night that the police summoned the governor’s security detail and asked them if he was attacked. They were said to have denied any assault on the governor, who reportedly sent some emissaries to the police. Attempts to seek confirmation of the report from Deputy Inspector General (Operations) Joshak Habila, who is in charge of security for the poll, failed. His aides declined comment.

PDP National Chairman Uche Secondus led a march on the National Assembly.

The protesters were received by Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu.

Secondus claimed that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), allegedly in collaboration with security agencies, planned to rig the election.

He said the state’s residents were living in fear following alleged restriction of movement by security agencies. There was no confirmation of any restriction yesterday.

He expressed concern about the conduct of the 2019 general elections.

Secondus urged the National Assembly to investigate perceived excesses of security agencies to save democracy.

“Sir, we are aware and we have been reliably informed that INEC and a section of the security agencies have prepared to rig the election in Ekiti.

“That is why Ekiti today has been militarised and over policed; 30,000 policemen and women are in Ekiti.

“The citizens of Ekiti are afraid. They are traumatised. They are harassed, and they are being guarded not to come out of their homes.

“The Ekiti Government House was sealed and the governor brutalised. This development is an eyesore to democracy.

“We came first to National Assembly, because you represent democracy and the hope and aspirations of Nigerians.

“We believe that we should register our protest to the National Assembly to quickly intervene, query, examine through oversight, the excesses and assault on democracy.

“We call on the international community to see and watch what is happening in Ekiti, if this is the type of election that APC and INEC want to conduct in Ekiti.

“By this, the 2019 general elections is under threat. We believe that if they continue in this manner and rig the poll, there will be nothing like 2019 elections.”

A one-time Minister of Aviation, Mrs Kema Chikwe, said for Nigeria to achieve good governance, there must be true democracy, saying the Wednesday incident in Ekiti was undemocratic.

“If you watch the video, you could see shootings in the air and you will see molestation.

“Election is about one man, one vote. For us to achieve good governance in this country, we must have true democracy.

“PDP believes in structures and peace. There are excesses. Everywhere in Ekiti has been turned into a war zone.

“The governor has been humiliated and he has immunity. What type of democracy do we have?

“PDP ruled for 16 years of peace, and we want it to continue. We are starting now to show that enough is enough; there must be a change so that we will have a credible 2019.

That’s what we are starting today”, Chikwe said.

Ekweremadu, while receiving the PDP protesters, said:  “We will do everything possible to ensure that we will continue to work within the tenets of democracy.

“We shall make contact with INEC, police and other security agencies to ensure that they are neutral.

“We believe to be leaders in Africa. We cannot be leading from the back. We must show leadership by example.

“So, whatever we do, we must also know that the world is watching us. We want to thank you for taking this path of honour”.

The Senate Caucus of the PDP, led by Senator Godswill Akpabio, called on the Executive to set up a commission of enquiry to investigate Fayose’s claim.

But the APC dismissed the PDP’s claims.

APC National Publicity Secretary Bolaji Abdullahi said in a statement that with the PDP’s allegations, it was clear that they were not abreast with developments in Ekiti State.

The statement said: “We reject the claim by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that policemen were drafted to Ekiti State to harass PDP supporters in Saturday’s governorship election in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.

“As usual with elections, extra security deployment is routine to keep the peace for credible and transparent elections.

“With PDP’s claim in its press statement, it is obvious that its leadership does not have the facts of the actual events in Ekiti State or it is deliberately attempting to divert public attention from the comical performance put up by Governor Ayodele Fayose on Wednesday, which was clearly contrived to give the impression to the public that he was being persecuted.

“Somehow, Fayose has contrived to make this election about himself. But it is not. The contest is between Dr. Fayemi and the Professor that has continued to hide behind Fayose’s fingers.

“What is clear to every voter in Ekiti is that to vote for this Professor is to hand Fayose a third term.

“Given their horrid experience with him, they have wisely rejected them both.

“The PDP in Ekiti has read the handwriting on the wall. They know they have lost the election. They therefore have to save their face with these wild allegations.

“The story of how Fayose used the security agencies to manipulate the last election is still fresh in the memory of the people. Unfortunately for him, he has no such opportunity this time. Winning a free and fair election is a strange territory to him and that’s why he is looking stranded.

“It is therefore mischievous of PDP to continue to claim that the Police assaulted Fayose on Wednesday after Fayose himself has apologised to the Police authorities for lying against their officers.

“The ultimate decision about who governs Ekiti lies with the people of that State, which they will make on the principle of one man one vote.”

Director of Media and Publicity of the Fayemi Campaign organisation Mr. Wole Olujobi, also faulted Olusola’s claim that policemen assaulted Fayose on Wednesday.

He explained that Fayose’s apology to the Police authorities for lying against their officers did not support the claim that the police assaulted the governor.

“It is great that security detail attached to Fayose have confessed that there was no attack on the governor.

“The security detail confessed after they were queried for dereliction of duty in the protection of their principal.

“Late last night (Wednesday), Fayose sent his aides to the police for forgiveness for lying against their officers.

“The police spokesman this evening said so, but Olusola is still misinforming Nigerians that the police assaulted Fayose, which then goes to show the quality of his Christian life that he is flaunting to aspire to lead the state.

“While the APC respected the security agencies when they asked APC to cancel its own women’s rally to avoid conflict, the PDP and Governor Fayose, particularly, have themselves to blame for his shameful conduct.

Policemen yesterday vacated the gates of Ekiti State Government House which they occupied for two days.

The withdrawal succeeded in dousing the mounting tension generated by Wednesday’s encounter between Governor Ayodele Fayose and the police.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that security agents also vacated the campaign office of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate Deputy Governor Kolapo Olusola.

Many supporters of the governor yesterday thronged the Government House, demanding to know if he was hale and hearty.

Olusola told the supporters that the governor was fast recovering and that there was nothing to fear.

He also told them to maintain the peace and to refrain from taking the laws into their hands.

It was gathered yesterday that Fayose may declare today work –free to enable civil servants to travel for Saturday’s poll.

Chief Press Secretary to the Governor Idowu Adelusi told NAN that arrangements were on to allow workers to leave for their home towns since there would be restriction of human and vehicular movements tomorrow.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

politics

Update : C’River PDP Deputy Governorship Candidate,Emana Resigns From Party

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Deputy Governorship Candidate in 2023 general election, in Cross River State, Dr Emana Duke Ambroose-Amawhe, has resigned her membership from the party.

In a letter dated
march 28,2025, and addressed to the chairman of Edem Odo Ward, in Akpabuyo local government area of Cross River State, the former Deputy Governorship Candidate,explained that the resignation was with immediate effect.

She said her decision to leave the party was not made lightly, but she remains committed to serving her community and contributing to the progress of Cross River state and nation in other capacities.

In her words, “i am writing to formally resign my membership from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with immediate effect.

” I sincerely appreciate the opportunity given to me over time to contribute my quota to the growth of the party and the chance to serve as the Deputy Governorship Candidate in the last general elections.

” It was a privilege to be part of the PDP’s vision and engage with our people in meaningful ways. However, after much reflection in light of the current state of affairs within the party, I believe it is time for me to move on.

“This decision was not made lightly, but I remain committed to serving my community and contributing to the progress of our state and nation in other capacities.

Continuing ” I appreciate the relationships and experiences gained during my time with the party and wish the PDP success in its future endeavours.

Amawhe, an embodiment of competence, capability and capacity,
was the Deputy Governorship Candidate to Senator Sandy Onor in Cross River State during the 2023 elections.

She was also an aspirant to the House of Representatives for the Bakassi/Akpabuyo/Calabar South Federal Constituency on the platform of the PDP.

Continue Reading

politics

Breaking : Sule Lamido blasts El-Rufai over call to join SDP, Says how can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing’

Published

on

Former Governor of Jigawa State and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Sule Lamido, has fired back at former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, over his call for opposition politicians to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP).

El-Rufai, who recently announced his defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to SDP, urged opposition leaders including Atiku Abubakar, Peter Obi, Rotimi Amaechi, and Rauf Aregbesola to join him in his new political movement.

However, Lamido in an interview with BBC dismissed El-Rufai’s invitation, questioning his political ideology and commitment to national development.

“With all due respect, how does he expect us in PDP to leave and join another party? The PDP that we built is the same party that made him who he is today. How can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing?” Lamido said.

He recalled that El-Rufai once declared there were no political elders in Nigeria, insisting that he and his allies were the true power brokers.

“But now he claims he advised Buhari. If he truly had the power he once boasted of, why did he have to seek Buhari’s counsel?” Lamido asked.

The former governor stressed that, despite PDP’s internal challenges, it remained his political home.

“If PDP is struggling today, it is still the party that nurtured El-Rufai. If he claims PDP is dead, then he must remember that it is the party that gave him his political foundation. Whatever he has achieved today, PDP made it possible.”

“If I didn’t join APC in 2014 when I was invited, and they left PDP out of anger, why are they now leaving APC? What has APC done to them?” he asked.

He maintained that governance should not be driven by emotions or personal grudges.

“Leadership is about patience, foresight, and working for the peace of the people and the nation. If you allow emotions to dictate your decisions, you will never lead objectively.”

He stressed that if the goal is to unseat President Bola Tinubu, it should not be based on personal grievances but on national interest.

“We should not fight Tinubu just because we are angry at him or seeking revenge. Leadership should be about prioritizing the country’s well-being rather than personal emotions.”

Lamido concluded by urging politicians to focus on strengthening the country rather than making decisions based on resentment.

Continue Reading

politics

Breaking : Rivers State House of Assembly Gives Governor Fubara, 48 hours to present 2025 Budget

Published

on

….I’ll obey Supreme Court judgment, says Fubara

Forty-eight hours after the Supreme Court handed down two judgments that threaten the soul of the Siminalayi Fubara Rivers State government, the governor yesterday announced his intention to fully obey the orders.

In a twist, described by observers of the Rivers State politics as unexpected, Fubara told Rivers residents that he expected to get the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the judgment by Friday to enable him to take the necessary action.

He ordered the 23 local government chairmen, whose election was voided by the judgment, to quit today after handing over to heads of personnel.

The apex court on Friday gave two judgments – one by Justice Akomaye Agim, which recognises the Martins Amaewhule-led 26 members of the state House of Assembly, and the second by Justice Jamilu Tukur, which declared as invalid the election conducted on October 5, 2024, that led to the emergence of 23 chairmen and 319 councillors.

The apex court further invalidated the state budget and ordered the Central Bank and the Accountant-General of the Federation to stop releasing funds to the state government pending when Fubara would re-present the budget to the authentic House of Assembly led by Speaker Amaewhule.

In a broadcast yesterday, Governor Fubara said: “I have had a meeting with my team of lawyers and they have assured me that the certified true copy of the judgments may be available to them by Friday 7th March 2025.

“I assure you that upon the receipt of certified judgments, we shall study their ramifications and implement them without reservations to move the state forward.

“Furthermore, given the outlawing of caretaker arrangements in the local government system, I hereby direct the heads of personnel management to immediately take over the administration of the 23 local government councils pending the conduct of fresh elections by the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission.

“I further direct the outgoing local government chairmen to formally hand over the levers of power to the heads of personnel management by Monday, 3rd March 2025.”

Fubara said since its inception, his administration conducted the affairs of government within the framework of the constitution, due process and the rule of law.

The governor noted with regret the trying times the state had been plunged but urged everyone to remain calm and peacefully go about their legitimate daily activities and be sure that his administration would continue to do everything in meeting their aspirations.

Fubara said: “We are all aware of the recent Supreme Court judgments and pronouncements regarding aspects of the lingering political disputes in our dear state.

“Although we disagree with the judgments, we are bound to obey the orders made therein as a law-abiding government.

“Since inception, we have conducted the affairs of government within the framework of our Constitution, due process and the rule of law.

“While we are not above mistakes because we are humans, we believe that we have not, as a government, done anything deliberately to trample on the rule of law or the hallowed principles of constitutional governance.”

Fubara, Amaewhule should work together, say elders

The Rivers State Elders Council (RSEC) called on Fubara and Speaker Amaewhule, to prioritise the interest of the state and work together in line with the Supreme Court judgment.

Referring to Fubara and the lawmakers as one political family, the elders in a statement signed by its Chairman, Chief Ferdinand Alabraba, said there was no more case standing between the both parties.

The elders congratulated the people of Rivers State on what they described as the well-rounded pronouncements of the Supreme Court oon the political crises.

The statement said: “The Elders Council further commends the people of the state for their resilience, patience and peaceful disposition throughout the period of the crises in the state while awaiting the final verdict of the apex court of the land on all the matters.

“Now that the Supreme Court has spoken unequivocally on all the matters, we believe strongly that nothing now stands in the way of His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, Governor of Rivers State and Rt Hon Martin Amaewhule, Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, working together in the best interest of the state and her people.

“We are, therefore, calling on the Governor of Rivers State and the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, who both emerged from the same political family in the state, to put Rivers State above all other considerations, personal or otherwise, and ensure urgently that all necessary steps are taken in conformity with their constitutional responsibilities.

“We give God Almighty all the glory for granting Rivers State this unique opening for peace to return to our dear state.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved