politics
Update : presidential race 2023 : Coalition unable to reach AfDB President, Adesina after procuring N100m APC forms

….’Count me out of presidential race’ – says Adesina
The coalition of 28 groups which procured an All Progressives Congress APC Presidential Nomination and Expression of Interest forms for the President, African Development Bank AfDB, Akinwumi Adesina has said it did not have the consent of the continental public servant to purchase the forms.
According to the coalition, 24 hours after paying for the forms, it has not been able to reach the banker. It however said Adesina remained the best man for the job and that the groups needed to procure the forms to meet with relevant deadlines before trying to convince Mr Adesina.
This was as the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission INEC, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu dismissed insinuations that he could one day enter the 2023 presidential race.
Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi in a statement on Sunday said any such innuendo or proposition is preposterous.
He said; “Our attention has been drawn to innuendoes in certain quarters that Nigerians should not be surprised if the INEC Chairman joins the Presidential race or urging him to do so. It is a preposterous proposition. It will not happen.
“The Chairman remains an umpire committed to free, fair and credible elections. His constitutional responsibilities as the Chief Electoral Commissioner of the Federation and Returning Officer for the presidential election are onerous enough for him to even contemplate straying into extraneous matters at variance with the law, morality and his personal principles.
“The Chairman will continue to discharge his responsibilities without affection for, or illwill against, any political party or candidate”.
Speaking on Sunday after physically picking the forms at the International Conference Centre ICC in Abuja, the coalition said it has not been able to reach Mr Adesina.
The coalition had earlier on Saturday paid for the forms and it said between the period it paid for the forms and when it picked them on Sunday, it was yet unable to get across to Mr Adesina.
Leader of the Youth Arise Movement, one of the groups in the coalition, Babatunde Ademola, said they are very certain that Mr Adesina is a member of the ruling party.
He said; “I am one of the group leaders of this team of 28 groups that have been working tirelessly and consulting across the country and even outside the country to ensure that we get him to come and obey the clarion call.
“I will tell you significantly that we have tried to reach out to him, we have sent messages, we have looked at any which way we will get across to him. We have not gotten any definite response from him, but because we know the Constitution of Nigeria is very clear, and the Act that governs the umpire for electioneering is also clear, and we know that the timing is not on our side and we believe that for such person after we have looked at the situation of this country, we need Dr Adesina to come and solve Nigeria’s problem and because of this, we have put our resources together.
“It is very certain that such a man who knows very well that when he was contesting for the AfDB, the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, supported him wholeheartedly for the first time, supported him wholeheartedly for the second time, such person will not want to throw away the call of over 200 million Nigerians and also feel that he cannot defend the legacy and the goodwill of the President of Nigeria.
“It is a time for him to come and reciprocate the good gesture that President Muhammadu Buhari has given to him by accepting this forms that we have struggled to purchase.
“It is not easy to gather N100 million but we have ensured that we gather as many people as possible. Like he said, on the issue of if we are going to meet up, we have people on ground and we are very certain that he is a member of APC before we begin to do what we are doing. So, we are calling him to come out and accept this form from us. It is a gift to serve this country and solve our problems. We are calling Adesina because it is a call to save Nigeria and I think he is going to accept”.
On when the coalition would present the forms to Mr Adesina, he said; “By the grace of God we will ensure that, we know that he is not available, right now. We have been trying to reach him, but when we get him we will inform you”.
President of the One Nigeria Group, Mohammed Saleh who led the delegation said Adesina is a man of proven integrity and experience.
“He has done so much for Nigeria as Minister for Agriculture. He has solved the problems of so many farmers, created so many jobs by solving the corruption in the agricultural sector. Particularly the fertilizer, which he brought the e-wallet for fertilizer which the farmers are enjoying now and it has created a lot of jobs. It has also helped millions of farmers in Nigeria which they are still benefiting and also as President, African Development Bank he has brought a lot of initiatives that solve Africa’s food security problem. So, we will like him to come back home and apply it here in Nigeria”.
On whether Adesina is a member of the APC and if he would be able to get party delegates to vote for him, Mr Saleh said; “When we get there, we will cross that bridge, don’t worry about that. First, the most significant thing is for us to get him to agree and come and collect the forms, sign it for us and then join the race. That is the most significant thing at the moment. Issue of delegates, everybody and I know all Nigerians apart from not even the delegates even you, everybody in Nigeria knows that Adesina has the capacity to bring Nigeria back from the brink.
“God’s willing, we will be able to submit (the forms). We are going to meet up with the deadline”.
politics
Update : C’River PDP Deputy Governorship Candidate,Emana Resigns From Party

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Deputy Governorship Candidate in 2023 general election, in Cross River State, Dr Emana Duke Ambroose-Amawhe, has resigned her membership from the party.
In a letter dated
march 28,2025, and addressed to the chairman of Edem Odo Ward, in Akpabuyo local government area of Cross River State, the former Deputy Governorship Candidate,explained that the resignation was with immediate effect.
She said her decision to leave the party was not made lightly, but she remains committed to serving her community and contributing to the progress of Cross River state and nation in other capacities.
In her words, “i am writing to formally resign my membership from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with immediate effect.
” I sincerely appreciate the opportunity given to me over time to contribute my quota to the growth of the party and the chance to serve as the Deputy Governorship Candidate in the last general elections.
” It was a privilege to be part of the PDP’s vision and engage with our people in meaningful ways. However, after much reflection in light of the current state of affairs within the party, I believe it is time for me to move on.
“This decision was not made lightly, but I remain committed to serving my community and contributing to the progress of our state and nation in other capacities.
Continuing ” I appreciate the relationships and experiences gained during my time with the party and wish the PDP success in its future endeavours.
Amawhe, an embodiment of competence, capability and capacity,
was the Deputy Governorship Candidate to Senator Sandy Onor in Cross River State during the 2023 elections.
She was also an aspirant to the House of Representatives for the Bakassi/Akpabuyo/Calabar South Federal Constituency on the platform of the PDP.
politics
Breaking : Sule Lamido blasts El-Rufai over call to join SDP, Says how can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing’

Former Governor of Jigawa State and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Sule Lamido, has fired back at former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, over his call for opposition politicians to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP).
El-Rufai, who recently announced his defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to SDP, urged opposition leaders including Atiku Abubakar, Peter Obi, Rotimi Amaechi, and Rauf Aregbesola to join him in his new political movement.
However, Lamido in an interview with BBC dismissed El-Rufai’s invitation, questioning his political ideology and commitment to national development.
“With all due respect, how does he expect us in PDP to leave and join another party? The PDP that we built is the same party that made him who he is today. How can a grandson claim his grandfather knows nothing?” Lamido said.
He recalled that El-Rufai once declared there were no political elders in Nigeria, insisting that he and his allies were the true power brokers.
“But now he claims he advised Buhari. If he truly had the power he once boasted of, why did he have to seek Buhari’s counsel?” Lamido asked.
The former governor stressed that, despite PDP’s internal challenges, it remained his political home.
“If PDP is struggling today, it is still the party that nurtured El-Rufai. If he claims PDP is dead, then he must remember that it is the party that gave him his political foundation. Whatever he has achieved today, PDP made it possible.”
“If I didn’t join APC in 2014 when I was invited, and they left PDP out of anger, why are they now leaving APC? What has APC done to them?” he asked.
He maintained that governance should not be driven by emotions or personal grudges.
“Leadership is about patience, foresight, and working for the peace of the people and the nation. If you allow emotions to dictate your decisions, you will never lead objectively.”
He stressed that if the goal is to unseat President Bola Tinubu, it should not be based on personal grievances but on national interest.
“We should not fight Tinubu just because we are angry at him or seeking revenge. Leadership should be about prioritizing the country’s well-being rather than personal emotions.”
Lamido concluded by urging politicians to focus on strengthening the country rather than making decisions based on resentment.
politics
Breaking : Rivers State House of Assembly Gives Governor Fubara, 48 hours to present 2025 Budget

….I’ll obey Supreme Court judgment, says Fubara
Forty-eight hours after the Supreme Court handed down two judgments that threaten the soul of the Siminalayi Fubara Rivers State government, the governor yesterday announced his intention to fully obey the orders.
In a twist, described by observers of the Rivers State politics as unexpected, Fubara told Rivers residents that he expected to get the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the judgment by Friday to enable him to take the necessary action.
He ordered the 23 local government chairmen, whose election was voided by the judgment, to quit today after handing over to heads of personnel.
The apex court on Friday gave two judgments – one by Justice Akomaye Agim, which recognises the Martins Amaewhule-led 26 members of the state House of Assembly, and the second by Justice Jamilu Tukur, which declared as invalid the election conducted on October 5, 2024, that led to the emergence of 23 chairmen and 319 councillors.
The apex court further invalidated the state budget and ordered the Central Bank and the Accountant-General of the Federation to stop releasing funds to the state government pending when Fubara would re-present the budget to the authentic House of Assembly led by Speaker Amaewhule.
In a broadcast yesterday, Governor Fubara said: “I have had a meeting with my team of lawyers and they have assured me that the certified true copy of the judgments may be available to them by Friday 7th March 2025.
“I assure you that upon the receipt of certified judgments, we shall study their ramifications and implement them without reservations to move the state forward.
“Furthermore, given the outlawing of caretaker arrangements in the local government system, I hereby direct the heads of personnel management to immediately take over the administration of the 23 local government councils pending the conduct of fresh elections by the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission.
“I further direct the outgoing local government chairmen to formally hand over the levers of power to the heads of personnel management by Monday, 3rd March 2025.”
Fubara said since its inception, his administration conducted the affairs of government within the framework of the constitution, due process and the rule of law.
The governor noted with regret the trying times the state had been plunged but urged everyone to remain calm and peacefully go about their legitimate daily activities and be sure that his administration would continue to do everything in meeting their aspirations.
Fubara said: “We are all aware of the recent Supreme Court judgments and pronouncements regarding aspects of the lingering political disputes in our dear state.
“Although we disagree with the judgments, we are bound to obey the orders made therein as a law-abiding government.
“Since inception, we have conducted the affairs of government within the framework of our Constitution, due process and the rule of law.
“While we are not above mistakes because we are humans, we believe that we have not, as a government, done anything deliberately to trample on the rule of law or the hallowed principles of constitutional governance.”
Fubara, Amaewhule should work together, say elders
The Rivers State Elders Council (RSEC) called on Fubara and Speaker Amaewhule, to prioritise the interest of the state and work together in line with the Supreme Court judgment.
Referring to Fubara and the lawmakers as one political family, the elders in a statement signed by its Chairman, Chief Ferdinand Alabraba, said there was no more case standing between the both parties.
The elders congratulated the people of Rivers State on what they described as the well-rounded pronouncements of the Supreme Court oon the political crises.
The statement said: “The Elders Council further commends the people of the state for their resilience, patience and peaceful disposition throughout the period of the crises in the state while awaiting the final verdict of the apex court of the land on all the matters.
“Now that the Supreme Court has spoken unequivocally on all the matters, we believe strongly that nothing now stands in the way of His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, Governor of Rivers State and Rt Hon Martin Amaewhule, Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, working together in the best interest of the state and her people.
“We are, therefore, calling on the Governor of Rivers State and the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, who both emerged from the same political family in the state, to put Rivers State above all other considerations, personal or otherwise, and ensure urgently that all necessary steps are taken in conformity with their constitutional responsibilities.
“We give God Almighty all the glory for granting Rivers State this unique opening for peace to return to our dear state.”
-
news4 years ago
UPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
news4 days ago
Breaking : TInubu appoints Bashir Ojulari as new CEO group of NNPC and GMD mele kyari get sacked, Says Onanuga
-
news1 year ago
Environmental Pollutions : OGONI COMMUNITY CRIES OUT, THREATENS TO SHUT DOWN FIRSTBANK,SHELL OIL COMPANY OPERATIONS FOR NOT PAYING COURT AWARD
-
news1 week ago
Update : Fubara ordered bombing of Rivers Assembly, I am not under duress I resigned, Says ex-Rivers HoS Nwaeke
-
interview5 days ago
NIGERIA MECHANIZED AGRO EXTENSION SERVICE PROJECT, A STRATEGIC MOVE TO ALLEVIATE POVERTY – DR. AMINU ABDULKADIR
-
brand1 week ago
GTCO Plc Releases 2024 Full Year Audited Results …Pays Shareholders Record Dividend of N8.03k for 2024 Financial Year
-
news5 days ago
Tinubu commended Nandap for her leadership, extends Comptroller-General tenure till 2026, says Onanuga
-
brand1 week ago
ZENITHz BANK MAINTAINS SUPERLATIVE PERFORMANCE WITH PBT OF N1.3 TRILLION IN FULL YEAR 2024