news
Update : Cabinet Reshuffle, Non-performing ministers face sack and FEC members get order to speak on achievements, Says Onanuga
![]()
After more than one year in office, some of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s ministers are likely to be axed.
Some others may swap ministries as the President moves to add pep to governance.
Presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga confirmed the likelihood of the cabinet rejig yesterday during an interaction with reporters at Aso Villa.
He did not, however, give a timeline to the imminent action that will shake up the Federal Executive Council (FEC) inaugurated on August 21, last year.
There were 49 ministers at inception but two – Simeon Lalong, who left to take his seat as a senator and Dr. Betta Edu, who is on suspension – are out.
While the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs previously headed by Dr. Edu has been without a minister, Mrs. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, Minister for State Labour and Employment, has been doing the job.
Plateau, where Lalong comes from, is the only state without representation in the FEC.
The President has expressed his desire to reshuffle his cabinet and he will do it. I don’t know whether he’s going to do it before October 1, but he will surely do it.
“He has not given us any timeline, but he will do it. He has expressed his plan he wants to do it.”
O’tega Ogra, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Digital and New Media, who accompanied Onanuga to the news conference, said: “We also need to realise that the President’s decision to reshuffle is also based on empirical evidence.
“He said during the retreat for the ministers that they were going to have periodic reviews, and the decisions that are extracted from these reviews will be used to make that final decision.
“I know he’s gotten a couple of reports, and as Mr. Onanuga said, when he’s ready to do that, I believe he will.”
President Tinubu has instructed the ministers to actively promote the accomplishments of his administration.
He said the President has also directed the ministers to publicise the administration’s successes, particularly how it has worked to achieve the realisation of the ‘Renewed Hope Agenda.’
He explained that the President would be guided by an empirical process, referring to the performance indicator, which is being coordinated by the Special Adviser to the President on Policy Coordination and the Head of the Central Delivery Coordination Unit, Hajia Hadiza Bala Usman.
Onanuga stressed: “The President at the FEC meeting (Monday) gave an order to all his ministers to go out there and speak about the activities of his administration.
“Some of them have been media shy, television shy, radio shy, and he wants them to overcome all that and go out there and speak about what they have been doing.
“Because the feeling out there is that the government is not doing enough and the government has been doing a lot.
“It is up to them to go out there and blow their own trumpet. They should go out there and talk about what their ministries have been doing.”
‘Fed Govt won’t dabble into petrol pricing’
The Federal Government will not intervene in the ongoing controversy between the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) and Dangote Refinery over petrol pricing, the presidency said.
Onanuga emphasised that the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) allows NNPCL to operate independently, despite being owned by the federal, state, and local governments.
According to Onanuga, private marketers who find NNPCL or Dangote’s prices too high can import fuel and sell it at a reasonable price, benefiting consumers.
He noted that this is made possible by the deregulated market, which ultimately benefits consumers if a price war starts.
“As far as this government is concerned, the PMS regime has been deregulated, Dangote is a private company. We should not forget that NNPCL is a limited liability company. Whatever controversy both of them are having is their problem.
“If you go by the terms of PIA, NNPCL operates as a limited liability company.
“The private marketers said if think they find the NNPCL or Dangote’s prices too much for them, they will resort to importing fuel because it’s a deregulated market.
“At the end of the day, it’s the consumer who benefits if a price war starts.
“If NNPC’s fuel is expensive, the private marketers can go to the market and bring in their fuel and sell at the price that they think is very reasonable and profitable for them.
“So my answer is that, as far as government is concerned, government is not dabbling in this controversy,” Onanuga said.
Economic Stabilisation Bills to strengthen naira
The government has taken bold steps to bolster the naira against the dollar with the Economic Stabilisation Bills currently before the National Assembly, the presidency said.
An aspect of the bills aims to guide the operations of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and the Nigerian Port Authority, ensuring that all accrued revenues are collected in naira.
Onanuga said the bill will enable agencies to collect fees, charges, levies, and fines in naira at the applicable exchange rate, rather than solely in dollars.
This move is part of the government’s efforts to strengthen the national currency and prevent dollarisation of the economy.
“As the government wants to emphasise the use of our national currency, payments will now be made in naira, eliminating the need for dollars,” Onanuga explained.
He said the Economic Stabilisation Bills also propose amendments to the National Identity Commission Bill 2004.
The revised bill seeks to provide all Nigerians, including foreigners earning income in the country, with a registered National Identification Number (NIN).
This will enable them to be enlisted in Nigeria’s tax structure, ultimately shoring up the nation’s revenue base.
“The Economic Stabilisation Bill comprises multiple bills, including the amendment to the National Identity Management Commission Bill 2004,” Onanuga noted.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
news
Drama in Rivers APC as Fubara and Tonye Cole Step Down from Governorship Primary
![]()
Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary election in the state.
Fubara made this known in a statement personally signed on Wednesday, saying he would support whoever emerges as the party’s candidate, The Nations reported.
The governor said his decision followed extensive consultations with his family, friends, and political associates.
“After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party,” Fubara said.
The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections in Rivers State.
Fubara said although the decision was difficult, he remained committed to supporting whoever would emerge as the APC governorship candidate.
According to him, leadership demands sacrifice and personal ambition must sometimes give way to the collective interest of the people.
“Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest,” he said.
Meanwhile, the embattled governor expressed appreciation to his supporters for their loyalty, prayers and sacrifices throughout the political process, acknowledging that many would feel disappointed by his withdrawal.
He said his silence in recent weeks was “deliberate and strategic,” adding that it was guided by the higher interest of the state.
Newsthumb had earlier reported that APC chieftain and 2027 governorship aspirant in Rivers State, Tonye Cole, also announced his withdrawal from the race, saying his decision was, among other reasons, in the interest of the party’s unity.
Fubara thanks Tinubu, dismisses cowardice
The governor hinted at undisclosed pressures surrounding the political process, saying: “As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace.”
He added that some truths were best kept quietly “not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose.”
Fubara thanked the APC leadership for the opportunity given to him during the process and also expressed gratitude to President Bola Tinubu for his support and encouragement.
He urged party faithful to remain united and committed to the APC, describing the party as their “collective home.”
The governor, however, insisted that his withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of weakness or surrender.
“I stepped aside not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity,” he said.
Fubara also pledged to continue serving the people of Rivers State until the end of his tenure.
He further stated, “Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.
“To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel.
“Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.”
Our correspondence earlier reported that Fubara rose politically under the administration of his predecessor and political godfather, Nyesom Wike, serving as Accountant-General of Rivers State before emerging as the PDP governorship candidate and winning the 2023 election with Wike’s backing.
Shortly after assuming office, however, the relationship between both men collapsed over control of the state’s political structure, appointments and finances, leading to a bitter power struggle involving the Rivers State House of Assembly led by Speaker Martin Amaewhule, who remained loyal to Wike.
The crisis escalated when 27 lawmakers attempted moves seen as targeting Fubara, while the governor’s camp questioned their legitimacy after alleged defections.
The Assembly complex was later demolished and governance became paralysed as both camps traded court actions and political attacks.
In March 2025, President Bola Tinubu declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending Fubara, his deputy and all lawmakers for six months, citing political instability and threats to governance and oil infrastructure.
During the suspension, retired naval chief Ibok-Ete Ibas was appointed sole administrator.
Fubara was later reinstated after political negotiations reportedly brokered by Tinubu, with conditions said to include working with the Amaewhule-led Assembly, maintaining peace with Wike’s camp and shelving immediate political confrontation ahead of 2027, although some reported terms — including speculation about reelection concessions — remained unofficial.
The House of Assembly saga remained central to the crisis, with repeated disputes over budget presentation, impeachment threats and Supreme Court rulings affirming the Amaewhule faction as the recognised Assembly leadership.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’