Connect with us

news

Update : We are yet to identify the Killer of Fatinoye Family, who killed and set the family ablaze after they returned from cross over service on the 1st of January 2023, Says Sibling

Published

on

As people all over the world, irrespective of religious beliefs and status, were rejoicing and praising God for sparing their lives to witness the beginning of 2023, the family of Fatinoye in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, was thrown into sorrow, anguish and pains, as yet-to-be-identified persons snuffed lives out of Mr Kehinde and Mrs Bukola Fatinoye, few minutes after they returned from church crossover service on January 1, 2023.

Our correspondence gathered that after killing the couple, their remains were set ablaze, while their only surviving son, Oreoluwa, and their ‘housemaid’ were kidnapped and later thrown into the river along Adigbe-Obada Oko Road, Abeokuta.

It was further learnt that the suspected arsonists trailed the couple to their private residence at Ibara GRA, Ibara, Abeokuta, before killing and setting their corpses on fire.

Kehinde Fatinoye, until his death, was a staff member of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) while his wife, Bukola, was a staff member of the Federal University of Agriculture (FUNNAB), Abeokuta.

The victims were burnt beyond recognition with their remains later packed by policemen and other health officials at the scene, and driven to the hospital in an ambulance, while hundreds of sympathizers at the house were seen crying over the sad development.

When the news of the gruesome murder of the couple filtered to the public, members of Christ Anglican Church, Iporo Ake, Abeokuta, which they attended, could not believe their hears until they got to their residence at GRA, Ibara, Abeokuta to see things for themselves.

The sympathizers from the church said they could not believe their ears on hearing the ugly development, saying they suspect that the arsonists might have trailed the couple to their home to carry out the callous crime.

The remains of the slain couple were committed to mother earth on Monday at Lantoro cemetery, after a burial service held at Christ Anglican Church, Iporo Ake, Abeokuta.

The burial service, which was presided over by Rev S.K. Oyewale, was attended by family members and sympathisers.

The remains of the couple were taken in separate caskets after the church service to a cemetery in the Lantoro area of Abeokuta, where they were committed to mother earth.

In his sermon at the burial service, Oyewale described the couple as generous, easy-going, humble and friendly persons.

He added that the couple contributed immensely to the promotion of evangelization in the church.

Meanwhile, the corpse of Oreoluwa Fatinoye, who was thrown into Ogun river by the arsonists who killed and burnt his parents on New Year’s eve, was recovered on Tuesday.

Oreoluwa was a master’s degree student of University of Ibadan.

The decomposing body of Oreoluwa was discovered floating on the river by fishermen, who were preparing for their daily business.

The remains of Oreoluwa were discovered by a fisherman, Idowu Taiwo, who hinted that he discovered the body floating on the river while he was preparing for the day’s work.

When Oreoluwa’s corpse was discovered, his two hands were tied with rope to the back, while his legs were also tied.

The police later took the corpse away in the presence of some family members.

Oluwaloseyi Fatinoye, a younger brother of the slain CBN worker, lamented the elimination of his brother and his entire family.

The sibling said his brother’s entire family had been wiped out, his two sons dead.

He said he did not understand why the assassins killed my brother, wife and son because his brother was kind and gentlemanly.

Oluwaloseyi revealed that his brother lost one of his children, Oluwatunmise, who was his second child, in June last year.

“I was told that he slumped during a football match in school and died. My brother had no children. His family has been wiped out”, the bereaved brother stated.

“After the ugly incident, I got a call from my brother’s friend in Abeokuta. He said ‘Tecno (that is my nickname), you have to come down to Abeokuta now”. He said something had happened to my brother, and when I asked what had happened, he insisted that I come to Abeokuta.

“I left Lagos immediately for Abeokuta and I went straight to the GRA, my brother’s house.

“When I entered the house, I went straight to my brother’s room. I saw my brother and his wife burnt. They were dead. I did not know what to do. I didn’t even know where I was. It was like a dream. I was feeling like, ‘Could this be true?’

“He was a very humble man. Very gentle, easygoing. He had friends. He had respect for everyone.

“He was the backbone of the family. He was our breadwinner. There was nobody like him in the family. We all depended on him. He helped the family. He settled many debts incurred by family members.

“His position has become vacant in the family. He was a strong pillar for the family. Nobody can play his role within the family”.

We’re progressing in our investigation — Police

The Public Relations Officer of Ogun State Police Command, Abimbola Oyeyemi, told Sunday Vanguard that an investigation was in progress to unravel the mystery behind the death of the Fatinoyes.

The matter, Oyeyemi said, was a pure case of assassination, adding that one person has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

news

Drama in Rivers APC as Fubara and Tonye Cole Step Down from Governorship Primary

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary election in the state.

Fubara made this known in a statement personally signed on Wednesday, saying he would support whoever emerges as the party’s candidate, The Nations reported.

The governor said his decision followed extensive consultations with his family, friends, and political associates.

“After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party,” Fubara said.

The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections in Rivers State.

Fubara said although the decision was difficult, he remained committed to supporting whoever would emerge as the APC governorship candidate.

According to him, leadership demands sacrifice and personal ambition must sometimes give way to the collective interest of the people.

“Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest,” he said.

Meanwhile, the embattled governor expressed appreciation to his supporters for their loyalty, prayers and sacrifices throughout the political process, acknowledging that many would feel disappointed by his withdrawal.

He said his silence in recent weeks was “deliberate and strategic,” adding that it was guided by the higher interest of the state.

Newsthumb had earlier reported that APC chieftain and 2027 governorship aspirant in Rivers State, Tonye Cole, also announced his withdrawal from the race, saying his decision was, among other reasons, in the interest of the party’s unity.

Fubara thanks Tinubu, dismisses cowardice
The governor hinted at undisclosed pressures surrounding the political process, saying: “As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace.”

He added that some truths were best kept quietly “not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose.”

Fubara thanked the APC leadership for the opportunity given to him during the process and also expressed gratitude to President Bola Tinubu for his support and encouragement.

He urged party faithful to remain united and committed to the APC, describing the party as their “collective home.”

The governor, however, insisted that his withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of weakness or surrender.

“I stepped aside not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity,” he said.

Fubara also pledged to continue serving the people of Rivers State until the end of his tenure.

He further stated, “Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

“To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel.

“Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.”

Our correspondence earlier reported that Fubara rose politically under the administration of his predecessor and political godfather, Nyesom Wike, serving as Accountant-General of Rivers State before emerging as the PDP governorship candidate and winning the 2023 election with Wike’s backing.

Shortly after assuming office, however, the relationship between both men collapsed over control of the state’s political structure, appointments and finances, leading to a bitter power struggle involving the Rivers State House of Assembly led by Speaker Martin Amaewhule, who remained loyal to Wike.

The crisis escalated when 27 lawmakers attempted moves seen as targeting Fubara, while the governor’s camp questioned their legitimacy after alleged defections.

The Assembly complex was later demolished and governance became paralysed as both camps traded court actions and political attacks.

In March 2025, President Bola Tinubu declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending Fubara, his deputy and all lawmakers for six months, citing political instability and threats to governance and oil infrastructure.

During the suspension, retired naval chief Ibok-Ete Ibas was appointed sole administrator.

Fubara was later reinstated after political negotiations reportedly brokered by Tinubu, with conditions said to include working with the Amaewhule-led Assembly, maintaining peace with Wike’s camp and shelving immediate political confrontation ahead of 2027, although some reported terms — including speculation about reelection concessions — remained unofficial.

The House of Assembly saga remained central to the crisis, with repeated disputes over budget presentation, impeachment threats and Supreme Court rulings affirming the Amaewhule faction as the recognised Assembly leadership.

Continue Reading

news

APC Primary Crisis Deepens in Osun as Aspirants Accuse Party Leadership of Imposition, Manipulation, and Delegate Exclusion

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election held on Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Ife Federal Constituency has sparked widespread controversy, with aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders alleging massive irregularities and manipulation during the exercise.

The aspirants accused certain party leaders of compromising the credibility of the primary process, alleging that the exercise was hijacked by desperate political actors allegedly working under the influence of the Osun State APC Chairman, Hon. Tajudeen Lawal, popularly known as “Sooko.”

According to reports gathered from several wards and local government areas within the constituency, many party members and stakeholders were allegedly denied the opportunity to participate in what was expected to be a transparent, free, and fair election. The aggrieved members described the exercise as a deliberate attempt to impose a preferred candidate against the collective will of delegates and party faithful.

Several stakeholders further alleged widespread intimidation, manipulation, and exclusion of recognized party members during the exercise, a development they said has generated tension and dissatisfaction within the party.

The aggrieved aspirants reportedly described the primary as a “scam,” alleging that results and figures were arbitrarily allocated to candidates by the party leadership.

They also alleged that incidents of violence and thuggery characterized parts of the exercise across Ife Federal Constituency, claiming that such developments have raised concerns over fairness, transparency, and internal democracy within the Osun APC.

Some party members further recalled a similar controversy during the May 27, 2022, APC primary election in the constituency, alleging that the same pattern of irregularities occurred during that exercise.

Meanwhile, the aspirants maintained that the outcome of the disputed primary election has yet to receive official recognition from the National Secretariat of the APC, as several petitions and complaints have reportedly been submitted over the conduct of the exercise.

They also noted that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has not officially validated the disputed process, thereby raising further questions regarding the legitimacy and credibility of the primary election.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved