Connect with us

Sports

Ambode to spend N1.046tr on four new stadia, others

Published

on

If work-plan for the N1.046tr 2018 budget signed into law on Monday is anything to count on, then there are signs that Governor Akinwunmi Ambode may build four new Stadia in Lagos state.

According to sectoral breakdown of the budget, the Governor plans to build the new football and athletic stadia in Igbogbo, Epe, Badagry and Ajeromi Ifelodun (Ajegunle) areas of the state before the fourth quarter of the year.

Ambode who christened the Appropriation Bill as “Budget of Progress and Development” noted that the stadia are aimed at driving youth inclusion and empowerment in the state leveraging sport.

NationsSport can reckon that most of the stadia used for football competitive games especially Nigeria Professional Football Leagues(NPFL) are Teslim Balogun and the Agege Township Stadium otherwise dubbed the ‘Temple’.

Though there are other stadia but are not in use for any tournament as they are undergoing  construction and  expansion.

“In its quest to promote excellence in sports and market the state through sports tourism, the state administration believes building more standard stadia across regions in the state is a step in the right direction,” said Ibitoye Toun, a resident and grassrootball analyst.

Among the stadium under-construction in the state is the Campus Mini stadium. Work on the stadium started last year and there are high expectation that it would be a finish project this year.

Ambode, while presenting the 2018 Appropriation Bill to the State House of Assembly, had pledged that his administration would make every effort to complete all ongoing projects as well as initiate new ones to consolidate on the development recorded in the last two and half years.

Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinyemi Ashade who put the projection for revenue (IGR) at N897billion,added that the remaining part of the budget would be funded by deficit financing.

said, “Today is a good day in our State; the Governor just signed the 2018 Appropriation Law. For the first time the Law has about N1.046trillion as total amount that we would spend in 2018.

“The Budget is tagged “Budget of Progress and Development” and in terms of capital and recurrent expenditure, we have 63 per cent Capital and 37 per cent Recurrent and that shows that we are really big on infrastructural renewal.

“In terms of revenue, we are expecting a total of N897billion both from the State and Federal receipts, so the rest would be funded through budget deficit financing.

“We are focusing this year on completing all projects that we have started knowing fully well that people would say that this is an election year, but the Governor is focused on delivering the dividends of democracy; we are not slowing down,

“We want to really ensure that we touch every aspect of Lagos that needs to be touched in terms of infrastructural renewal, welfare and other things that the Governor promised,” Ashade said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Committed to Local Government Autonomy and Engaging Youths in Various Entrepreneurial Skills, Says Adeyinka

Published

on

Minister for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, Zaphaniah Jisalo has said that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is determined to ensure that the local government system is working well in the overall interest of the country.

Speaking at a sporting event organised by the office of the Mandate Secretary in charge of Youth Affairs in the FCT, the Minister appealed to stakeholders to support grassroot sports development in the Federal Capital Territory as a way of discovering young talents in the country.

He described the football competition as another way of turning youth away from crime and other social vices.

Special Adviser to the President on Youth and Sports, Anthony Adeyinka, said the event shows support for the present administration by the FCT youths.

He said Tinubu is committed to youth development and empowerment. He reiterated different empowerment programmes for youths that have been put in place to get them engage in different entrepreneurship skills.

The Mandate Secretary of the FCT Bitrus Garki said FCT youth are happy that the president is interested in the development of hitherto forgotten communities, adding that the people are happy with the policies of the government which are beginning to yield positive results in all the area councils across the FCT.

Garki said the competition is aimed at appreciating the deliberate policies of the present administration which is now integrating the rural people into governance by giving them a voice.

The Zakari of Karu Chiefdom, Danfulani Narayi said the traditional institution in the Federal Capital Territory is happy with the present administration for its efforts in building a strong communities across the FCT.

He said competition like this will also help to unite the youth and create a sense of ownership by the people in the development of their communities.

Continue Reading

Sports

Update: Tinubu named Adeyinka, popularly known as Zulu, SSA on Grassroots Sports Dev’t

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Adeboye Adeyinka, popularly known as Zulu, as the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Grassroots Sports Development.

Zulu, a seasoned sports administrator, previously served as the Special Assistant to the immediate past Minister of Sports, Senator John Enoh. His extensive career also includes working with four different Lagos State Governors in various capacities, further cementing his reputation as a dedicated advocate for grassroots sports.

With a wealth of experience in sports administration and grassroots development, Adeyinka is poised to play a pivotal role in supporting the National Sports Commission’s mission to transform and revitalize Nigerian sports.

This appointment is widely seen as President Tinubu’s commitment to fostering sports development at the grassroots level, a crucial foundation for building a sustainable and thriving sports ecosystem in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Sports

Breaking : Usyk beats Fury to emerge undisputed heavyweight world champion

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk on Sunday beat Tyson Fury by split decision to become the undisputed heavyweight world champion.

The Mirror noted that Usyk toppled Fury with a stirring second-half comeback to be crowned the undisputed heavyweight world champion.

Fury dominated the first half of the fight, belying the magnitude of the night by clowning around at every opportunity.

But Usyk made a stirring comeback in the desert, forcing the referee to issue a count when only the ropes held his rival up in the ninth round.

Accordingly, Fury struggled to regain the momentum and would have been the happier of the two men to hear the final bell.

But his relief was short-lived as Usyk was announced the winner – and the division’s first undisputed ruler for 25 years – by split-decision.

The Brit, who was making the fourth defence of his world title, had weighed in 40lb heavier than bid rival and also enjoyed a six-inch height advantage.

He towered over Usyk as they touched gloves, telling the smaller man he was “going to school”.

Despite the occasion, Fury was in a playful mood from the first bell, taunting Usyk by lying back on the ropes. He then repeatedly punched himself in the head, beckoning his rival on.

Usyk landed a one-two at the start of the second round as Fury began to target the body – before punctuating the three minutes with an uppercut.

Fury was content to box on the back foot but began to use his size to lean on Usyk.

He switched to southpaw in the fourth round and prematurely raised his hands in victory after landing a back hand.

Such was Fury’s reach advantage that Usyk was at times struggling to close the distance.

Fury whipped in hooks to either side of the Ukrainian’s midriff as the former cruiserweight champion showed the first signs of struggle.

By the sixth round Fury looked to be in complete control as Usyk began to tire. Now the Brit was on the front foot as his rival backtracked and he reached the halfway mark with his hands behind his back.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Anthony Joshua had the best seats in the house alongside boxing’s new power broker Turki Alalshikh.

Steven Gerrard paid a visit to Fury’s dressing room before the first bell while Brazilian superstar Neymar also made an appearance.

And they would have enjoyed Fury’s performance in front of 28,000 fans, including a travelling contingent of Fury’s loyalists.

But Usyk was never going to lie down easily and returned fire in the seventh round with two left-hand reminders.

Usky lands a blow on Fury (Credit: The Mirror)
Usyk lands a blow on Fury (Credit: The Mirror)
Fury was alive to the threat however and immediately answered back.

Usyk increased his urgency in the eighth round as he chased down his fellow champion, appearing to demand he meet him for a fire-fight.

It was Usyk’s best round of the fight as he roared back into contention, landing a left-hand flush.

And he put his foot on the gas in the next round when a left hand against the ropes left Fury stunned.

Fury staggered around the ring as Usyk rushed after him and with only the ropes holding him up, the referee issued him a count.

The bell sounded to ensure Fury could fight on but Usyk smelled blood.

Fury had been down seven times before in his career and recovered each time but he looked vulnerable.

But that didn’t stop him showboating in the corner in an attempt to prove he wasn’t still stunned.

Fury had regained his composure by the penultimate round but the momentum was with Usyk as he flashed in a right hand.

A left hand against the ropes worried Fury again as Usyk looked to close the show.

The result was up in the air as the bell sounded for the final round but neither man was prepared to go for broke.

Fury landed the final telling blow but the result was left in the judges’ hands, The Mirror noted.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved